new Projects

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Completed the barn owl on basswood. Spent 2 years off & on between projects. Also took a class on Intarsia, the use of multiple wood types for color and texture effect. Did 2 side by side eagles with instructor. The first is sanded and shaped and ready for finished to be applied. The second will follow soon. Also completed so holiday themed scroll saw works, Santa and crossed candy canes on basswood and painted. Attached chains for hanging by the door next Christmas. Won a contest in Woodcarving mag and got a real nice book on carving Cypress knees, probably a Santa from the one I have available, and an extension for another years subscription. Way cool.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Finished Ram Head for Viola

Well it took almost a year to complete but most of the time was waiting for summer to end last year. It was over 100 in the garage where I have to use the power tools on hardwood like the maple for this piece. Once shaped I could then move indoors to use hand tools. Delivered to John this weekend to both our satisfaction. Can’t wait to see what it will look like when the master builder completes the body. DSCN4252

Catching up

Like most webpages this seems to have gotten away from me. Posting mostly to Blackhawk Wood Designs on Facebook so a lot of current pictures and projects are there to find. I’ll put some pics here as well. Maybe even try to update Photobucket. Who knows. Once a month at Woodcrafters in SE Portland doing demo carving/pyrography. Fun interacting with other artists.DSCN3951

Treefrog in development

working on a treefrog that was aa woodburned image I used on the seedbox for my wife. Started carving it at Woodcrafters on January 4th and will try to have it finished for my next demo on March 22nd. Also completed a couple of gift boxes for the daughters of a co-worker. wood frog 002

kestrel completed

Image

Wood Kestrel final 007Well here it is February 6th 2014 and I finished the kestrel last night. Started in December and was able to spend 6-8 hours a week working on it. It turned out alright after a few set backs. Was going to color stain it but decided I didn’t have enough experience and didn’t want to ruin it so stuck with the wood burning.